[NetBehaviour] the slow session meditation on always waiting

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Apr 19 16:26:40 CEST 2021

the slow session meditation on always waiting

https://youtu.be/AvwHjVBx5Fw
http://www.alansondheim.org/slown.jpg

well, we play slow. do we play slow.
so that we count only: 1,2,3
we continue for close to 40 minutes.
bass and alto continue. Azure sings "Dark Robe"
phrase by phrase, space between: the scaffolding/scaffold
of the piece, the central system of intervals/spaces
: for an interval requires a space :
in any case: 1,2,3
I begin with the 1.6 shakuhachi
"Dark Robe" begins. did I say it continues for the full
thirty-nine minutes.
I change to cifteli, repeating simple intervals slowly
and interacting with Azure's continuous singing
I switch to viola and that is easier with simple
double-string however moving slowly in and out of
sync. did i say this is simple. it is beautiful.
alto and bass continue
again 1.6 shakuhachi. i have difficulties with this
instrument, with 1.7 and 1.8 as well. but only when
recording: it is a fault in my constitution. again,
slowly. i want to do something with the instrument
and switch to terz guitar with slow arpeggios and
not a symptom of speed or luxury. only one or two
notes ring. later it will be hard to balance all of
these instruments between continuous and the ringing
of a few strings accompanied by fret rattle I move
on and back to 1.6 and it seems wait
first there is an interval where Azure stops for
that period of "Dark Robe" intervals i bring
the 1.6 close to the microphone so that
error might emerge and
she begins again and we come through bowed bass
and sax to an end demarcated as an oddity
and relief while America waits its burning so that
this music remains subterranean.
it slides. well, we play slow. do we play slow.
we play waiting, play at waiting. we make music.
now we do that, breathing.

Dark Robe (Azure Carter, Alan Sondheim)

Here is the field of mice
And here is the field of tall hickory
Here is the pleasant murmuring stream
And here are the wages of death

Yea, though I say death, I see death
Though I see death, I shall not see death
Death is a woman stalking me
Death is a woman stalking me

Here is the field of barley
And here is the meadow of forest voles
Here I shall not sleep again tonight
And here I shall foment cries and war

Yea, though I say death, I see death
Though I see death, I shall not see death
Death is a woman stalking me
Death is a woman stalking me

Here is a field of barley and corn
And here is a field of cedar
Here with death I shall lie in the field
And here with war I shall die in the forest

Yea, though I say death, I see death
Though I see death, I shall not see death
Death is a woman stalking me
Death is a woman stalking me

Here is a field of corn
And here is a meadow of forest mice
War is a sickle and dark robe
War is a man with chemical burns

Yea, though I say death, I see death
Though I see death, I shall not see death
Death is a woman stalking me
Death is a woman stalking me

Yea, though I say death, I see death
Though I see death, I shall not see death
Death is a woman stalking me
Death is a woman stalking me

__