[NetBehaviour] It's Voting Weekend: People’s Park Plinth x CultureStake at Furtherfield Gallery

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 15 16:34:24 CEST 2021

Hi Ruth,

This looks marvelously done and I look forward to viewing the projects!

For some reason, looking at the overview link I got the sense that humanity is still in the early stages of integrating technology with a sustainable planet.  Up to now, so much of our history has been that of extraction to meet survival needs and gain competitive advantage.  When these are the compelling currents little else gets much breathing room.

I wondered then: perhaps this applies to portable, wearable, and "hand-held" information technology as well.  For many centuries information and processing power were stored in fixed locations (monasteries, temples, museums) but now a much greater proportion circulates close to instantly.  Items we easily carry on our person now perform many of the roles that cathedrals, pyramids, and universities once did.  (It is interesting that the French word for "wearable" is "portable."  🙂)  Many of the most discouraging stories about information technology today have something of the robber baron dynamic as an undercurrent, but one can hope this will be relatively temporary as sustainability continues to assert itself as an alternative (or at the very least, a necessary complement) to extractive competition.

The current Finsbury Park project seems like a very realistic and powerful look forward to the best and most necessary capabilities of technology and culture.  Our relationships to place, space and time, will be in many ways mediated and manifested by our technological "garments" which both provide us physical protection from the elements and help us to acquire and communicate our knowledge, ideas, and values.  Networks of every sort are indeed the habitation and habit in which we live our lives.  In this sense the trees and grounds of Finsbury Park will be woven into the living garment of techne worn and crafted by the visitors not just in the text, sound, and visual data that both the park and visitors reciprocally input and output but in the larger physical fate or future of each wrapped and braided with that of all others.

Does it require an aesthetic and poetic awareness of tangible metaphor to experience the shared cloth of technology, people, place, and nature as a garment in the wearable, portable sense?  Yes for certain it does, but it is something all or many of us are very suitably cut out for, and everyone appreciates a nice outfit.  🙂

Congratulations on the project and best wishes for a lovely return to real and green space!

All best,

Max