[NetBehaviour] It's Voting Weekend: People’s Park Plinth x CultureStake at Furtherfield Gallery

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:40:06 CEST 2021

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your interesting questions.
This weekend was the seed of a project that could grow in all kinds of
places and ways depending on how and by whom it is cultivated :)

>Does there have to be just one plinth?
>Given I think the AR, you might have the entire park plinthified? So that
multiple works would be seen among everything the park has to offer?
We are taking the whole park as a single metaphorical plinth - more for
reasons of ease of communication to a diverse audience, than any other. But
we could also think of it fractally as a people's park plinth full of
people's park plinths etc.
Next year we are thinking about creating all different kinds of portal
points onto the "plinth"

>So that anyone might participate, put up an artwork?
That could also be a future direction, I can imagine that working really
beautifully.

>Not sure re voting, should non-residents have a say?
While we agree that residents should have most say (which is why we have
local vote weighting) It's very important to us that non-local people vote.
We are still working out all the reasons why exactly this is but here are
some of them.
1. Artists and Cultural organisations often make work that is
context-and-community specific, but as the works in People's Park Plinth
show, they also have a place on an international arts stage- why deny input
from a wider audience?
2. We have many diasporic communities in Finsbury Park, and all of the
artworks connect with specific local community groups (formed around a
variety of cultural, sporting, and growing activities). It is exciting to
us that local residents might share the work  and conversations with their
families and friends in other countries. Giving them the chance to vote
gives a little more sense of agency and connection.
3. It feels like an intrinsic good to create new ways for people to feel
the local and global context as simultaneous and connected.

>Love the decentralization!
Woohoo!

[image: 133_HD_210814_5152_┬® Hydar Dewachi.jpg]
>From Saturday's voting
:)
Ruth

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 12:13 AM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <

> [...]
>>
>> Firstly --- to any London-based or nearby people...
>>
>> *Join us for a weekend of collective decision making! & Pick the artwork
>> you want to be made at scale for Finsbury Park! *
>> Come to Finsbury Park on 14th & 15th August and discover 3 digital
>> artworks then decide which one you think belongs in the heart of Finsbury
>> Park and we’ll work with the artist to make it bigger for Autumn 2021.
>> *https://www.furtherfield.org/voting-weekend-peoples-park-plinth-x-culturestake/
>> <https://www.furtherfield.org/voting-weekend-peoples-park-plinth-x-culturestake/>*
>>
>> *All Non-Londoners* - the online vote will open on Tuesday and remain
>> open till 31 August* so please do sign up for your magical voting token*
>> and take part.
>>
>> This has been a HUGE project for us - and we are only at the beginning -
>> and we'd love to hear your thoughts on the work and the project in general.
>>

>> ===========
>> On a personal note.
>>
>> 12-5 today and tomorrow I will be at the gallery in Finsbury Park  for
>> the first time in nearly 18 months due to pandemic closures.
>>
>> I am so excited at the prospect of seeing people in the flesh and hanging
>> out in the park. We are really excited about the artworks on show and would
>> really love to see any of you if you have the time and can make it.
>>
>> Also, sorry for the long silence on Netbehaviour renewal. I got ill and
>> had to take a couple of weeks out, then had to give full focus to this
>> project. I will get back to you to close the loop.
>>
>> Maybe see you later today or tomorrow.
>> Hope so! ;)
>>
>> Warmly
>> Ruth
>>

>> --
>> Ruth Catlow
>> she/her
>> Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts
>> Lab
>> +44 (0) 77370 02879
>>
>> *I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
>> balanced.
>>
>> **sending thanks
>> <https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html> in
>> advance
>>
>> *Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through exhibitions,
>> labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
>> furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>
>>
>> *DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0
>> technologies research hub
>>
>> for fairer, more dynamic & connected cultural ecologies & economies now.
>>
>> decal.is <http://www.decal.is>
>>
>> Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee
>>
>> Registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
>>
>> Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,

Ruth Catlow
she/her