[NetBehaviour] It's Voting Weekend: People’s Park Plinth x CultureStake at Furtherfield Gallery

Lichty, Patrick M pl at voyd.com
Sun Aug 22 16:51:27 CEST 2021

This is a lovely project. When you see a project like this, one wants to see a foothold for themselves, not out of greed, but for the attraction of beauty.
I have begun an AR histories project, but it is in the scaffolding process, as I agreed with Marc in a Facebook BrowserBased group discussion regarding that media art requires Histor(ies), which was denounced by certain Dutch critics as “Dangerous” not to be strictly canonical and top-down institutional. I am in process with 2-3 high-level academic chapters, with future projects in approval stages.

In historical AR, look at the FULL list of artists in Manifest.AR. Also, go back to ATR Kyoto, and Mark Billinghurst’s group with the amazing Duff Hendrickson. I’m sure these names are not well known outside AR circles.

Regarding Skwarek, he was a great collaborator, but my favorite image is Alan sondheim with Mark at Occupy.AR near Zuccotti Park.
Never forget Tamiko Thiel, and in the current generation Marjan Moghaddam and Jeremy Bailey, who have all intervened in the built environment.
Mel Chin’s Unmoored is also amazing.

Alan, let’s talk about this at Winona.

Hi and thank you for your wonderful response. I'm reminded of the work of David Harris Smith in Canada, the Hitchbot but also David Clark's distributed works about the international timeline and other site-specific AR work he's done. There were also a number of artists working with AR in relation to U.S. cityscape history and events, including Mark Swarek and Will Pappenheimer. And of course things like the Highline in NY have had AR works along it. I wonder if there's a network of geographies and AR practitioners in relation to histories etc. and I'm losing myself here! Again, thank you!

Best, Alan