[NetBehaviour] Wittgenstein Driving

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Dec 1 16:28:51 UTC 2021

Wittgenstein Driving

http://www.alansondheim.org/Ludwigatthewheel.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/Ludwigatthewheel.mp4 video

"Now when in the solipsisitic way I say '_This_ is what's really
seen', I point before me and it is essential that I point
_visually._ If I pointed sideways or behind me - as it were, to
things which I don't see - the pointing would in this case be
meaningless to me; it would not be pointing in the sense in
which I wish to point. But this means that when I point before
me saying 'this is what's really seen', although I make the
gesture of pointing, I don't point to one thing as opposed to
another. This is as when travelling in a car and feeling in a
hurry, I instinctively press against something in front of me as
though I could push the car from inside."

- Ludwig Wittgenstein, The Blue and Brown Books, Preliminary
Studies for the 'Philosophical Investigations,' Harper, 1965,
(original 1958), p. 71.