[NetBehaviour] Fools Paradise

Paul Hertz ignotus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 19:02:54 CEST 2021

This is probably the sort of thing I should mention in this list, the
product of long research and hard work, though I guess it may also qualify
as self-promo.

*Fools Paradise*, a virtual world based on the "Proverbs of Hell" of
English poet and artist William Blake, can be downloaded from
https://dimoda.art/, the Digital Museum of Digital Art. It is part of an
anthology of VR works, DiMoDA 3.0, that includes work by six different
artists. The download is donation ware, with the money going to Covid
relief. The software will run on MacOS and Windows (separate downloads,
though) either on the desktop or with a tethered VR headset if you have the
right hardware.

Perched on a highland in the form of an immense open book with a stream of
language/water running down its center, the virtual world offers forty-
eight interactive pavilions linked by a network of paths. Each pavilion
interprets a proverb as a song for soprano, flute, cello, and spoken voice,
as a mask, and as calligraphy. VR architecture and code were created by
Paul Hertz, music by Stephen Dembski, sculptural masks by Mark Klink, and
calligraphy by Koy Suntichotinun

The VR architecture and the music are the result of a collaborative process
of intermedia composition that Stephen Dembski and I engaged in over
several years. In 2018 we showed our work at the XCoAx conference in
Madrid. You can read our presentation
<https://2018.xcoax.org/xCoAx2018.pdf#%5B%7B%22num%22%3A801%2C%22gen%22%3A0%7D%2C%7B%22name%22%3A%22Fit%22%7D%5D>
in the online Proceedings <https://2018.xcoax.org/>.

The work traveled extensively from 2018 to 2020, starting at SIGGRAPH Asia
in Bangkok, with stops in Vietnam, Arles, NYC, Chicago, Mexico City, Lima,
Toronto, Carbondale, Los Angeles, and points in between. If you're so
inclined, you can see the interview Stephen and I did with Will Robertson
and Alfredo Salazar Caro earlier this year:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/879732357

cheers,

-- Paul

--