[NetBehaviour] The Uncanny Vibe

Eryk Salvaggio eryk.salvaggio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:31:47 CEST 2021

Sorry Alan, to be clear I don’t think machines have an unconscious either. I should have been more precise: I’m talking about the tools of interpretation for the machine’s output, especially if one approaches generated text in a psychoanalytic framework (Freudian / Lacanian). There are illusions of an unconscious there, and so my question is: what are we interpreting when we do that? What connections in the neural net can be unraveled through that process?

Freud used to say that dream analysis worked to give meaning to dreams from the process of describing them. Cinema can work in the same way. The “generative” text must offer the same potential, because the act of interpreting it is human, and unconscious. Do cinema and dreams bring things out in different ways? If so, what might generative text bring that is unique to itself as a medium?

I want to dive deeper into your article here, it looks great. Thank you for sharing!

-e.