[NetBehaviour] analogy and AI poetry

Paul Hertz ignotus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 05:18:20 CEST 2021

Somewhat in haste...

AI in the late 80s, when Brooks wrote his essay, was apparently in crisis.
The efficacy of the models promoted by Marvin Minksy and other researchers
pursuing the sort of data-driven "expert systems" were already being
questioned. There were other models, as Alan mentions. Then too there were
subsystems that worked pretty well, out of which such fields as computer
vision and neural networks developed. N. Katherine Hayles examines some of
the history of AI and "artificial life" in her book How We Became
Post-Human, a mix of history of science and literary critique. She makes
the point, anent the confusion as to what "artificial intelligence" means,
that it was particularly intended as a phrase to pull in money for
research, as was "artificial life". Which isn't to say that a great deal of
research didn't get done, some of it very successful in the long run. Just
that the resounding phrase was never meant to be definitive.

Minsky's book The Society of Mind may be worth reading. I had the pleasure
of hearing him lecture many years ago. He may have been wrong about the
nature of the mind--he thought a mind could be stored on a hard drive--but
the nature of research is that it's frequently wrong.

-- Paul

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:01 PM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <

http://paulhertz.net/