[NetBehaviour] NetBehaviour Digest, Vol 1326, Issue 1

Anthony Stephenson aps0loot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 17:41:03 CEST 2021

> an early anthology I did, "Individuals:
> Post-Movement Art in America" - the title referring to eliminating
> boundaries and stop defining movements in order to experience what artists
> were actually doing outside boundaries.

Ah yes, I mentioned how I had enjoyed this book when I had applied to your
graduate studies class at UCLA.
Also, pardon my obviousness, I have no doubt that you have considered
liminality. My interjection was simply an attempt to get you to expand on
some of these edge and boundary ideas. Thank you.

> Can you say more how the liminal or edge/border applies to NFTs? I can see
> how ownership is blurred, but then isn't it (re)defined in terms of the
> contract and purchase, perhaps morphing but not challenging the concept?

I'm not sure if I could do that here, but as a layer of abstraction, a
limit or boundary is defined. While at a more mundane level, it is
theoretically possible to seize total control of such a legally defined
"object" and restrict and/or control its affects as such – defining its
level of liminality. I mean, other than that, a NFT is little more than DRM
metadata.

"Liminal" is a word that I had to look up, because my working definition of
> it (blurry, tentative) I know is wrong, though I was recently reminded that
> "limnology" refers to the study of lakes.  Having looked it up, I see it
> means something like "transitional" or "on either side of a boundary," kind
> of like a bridge state.  Ovid's Metamorphoses, and Tolstoy's reference to
> same, are related as well.  If we take a snapshot of a transition, and say
> "this is what it is," we err.
>
> Humans are perhaps the organism most capable of snapshots, and this may
> well be one of our least adaptive instincts during the present crises.
> Snapshots lose flow, and disconnect from reality both external and
> otherwise.

I recently finished Thomas Nail's "Being and Motion". In it he attempts to
present an Ontology of Motion – essentially, everything is moving. Yet even
in this we see him getting distracted by anthropomorphic asides. It starts
off good, with an emphasis on physics, but the middle gets bogged down with
his (historically philosophical) focus on God. Later, he again tries to get
his models to fit the media he knows (writing, printing, etc.) and it just
seems contrived. Still, there were some good ideas in it.

--

- *Anthony Stephenson*

*http://anthonystephenson.org/ <http://anthonystephenson.org/>*