[NetBehaviour] (no subject)

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 00:09:26 CEST 2021

Hi Gretta & all,

>Firstly, I’d like to extend most heartfelt thanks and admiration to
>Furtherfield, Ruth and Marc, for carrying the maintenance, moderation,
>and organisation burden of the list for so many years and especially for
>being such truly incredible community-builders.

Thank you, I’m not sure if some people understand what it takes to do the
things we do. It’s hard enough being experimental, but with a political
edge and with ethics as well, shit – that’s a hard one to sell to funders
in the UK. But we’ve managed to survive after 25 years years.

>I do enjoy checking in on Netbehaviour from time to time and chiming in
>when a topic I am more engaged in pops up, but I have found myself feeling
>more distant from much of the content lately (probably due to a lot of
personal shifts).

I have been deeply involved in research for the last few years, which has
created a different kind of energy. Also, I have personally moved towards
relating to art and social contexts where intersectional politics is at
play, especially if it relates to class. I’m no longer full time at
Furtherfield, and I am part-time now. I have made time to concentrate on
making art again and writing according to the current questions I wish to
investigate.

Ruth and I are going through our changes, which means new interests and
reconnecting to other interests. Naturally, Furtherfiel will reflect this.
However, this is not unusual, and this has always been the approach. Ruth
and I tend to haggle and argue with the community, and something
interesting occurs.

>It’s a super generous offer from Ruth/Furtherfield here to pass the reins
>to the community rather than simply taking it in a different direction or
>shutting it down - totally in keeping with the practices of care that are
at
>the basis of everything Furtherfield does. I hope someone puts up their
hand
>to take on the job.

>I will most likely continue to mostly lurk in the background on the list
>post-handover, but I’m also pretty active on instagram. For what it’s
>worth, despite all the foibles of the platform itself and tech interests
behind
>it, the community of colleagues I’ve found there (many I’ve never met IRL,
>some I’ve become ‘real’ friends with after initially connecting online)
has
>been quite sustaining over the course of the pandemic.

I’m using (as are others here) all kinds of platforms. I have been using
Instagram mainly to show my collages and Discord for small groups that
include specific research ventures, which has been very rewarding.

I feel the Netbehaviour list would be much improved if younger people were
using it and more women. I don’t think anyone on the list will put their
hands up to make any changes. However, if they did, it would require fresh
insight into media art culture and some of the ideas being explored as part
of its culture and practice. Doing work on the list takes a lot of energy,
and for it to take a different direction than what is already here would
mean inviting new people.

Wishing you well.

Marc

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 13:58, Gretta Louw via NetBehaviour <

> Dear all,
>
> Firstly, I’d like to extend most heartfelt thanks and admiration to
> Furtherfield, Ruth and Marc, for carrying the maintenance, moderation, and
> organisation burden of the list for so many years and especially for being
> such truly incredible community-builders.
>
> For me personally I find networks of colleagues on image-based social
> media and messaging groups based around specific topics or friendships to
> be the most sustaining. I do enjoy checking in on Netbehaviour from time to
> time and chiming in when a topic I am more engaged in pops up, but I have
> found myself feeling more distant from much of the content lately (probably
> due to a lot of personal shifts).
>
> Even if it’s not my primary contact method I see value in those sorts of
> casual and not content-driven channels, which is, I think, what most people
> have said in feedback to Ruth’s prompts about Netbehaviour.
>
> It’s a super generous offer from Ruth/Furtherfield here to pass the reins
> to the community rather than simply taking it in a different direction or
> shutting it down - totally in keeping with the practices of care that are
> at the basis of everything Furtherfield does.* I hope someone puts up
> their hand to take on the job. *
>
> I will most likely continue to mostly lurk in the background on the list
> post-handover, but I’m also pretty active on instagram
> <https://www.instagram.com/grettalouw/>. For what it’s worth, despite all
> the foibles of the platform itself and tech interests behind it, the
> community of colleagues I’ve found there (many I’ve never met IRL, some
> I’ve become ‘real’ friends with after initially connecting online) has been
> quite sustaining over the course of the pandemic.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Gretta
>

> On 31. May 2021, at 23:05, Johannes Birringer via NetBehaviour <
>
> I agree with Alan on this, obviously;
> and only now realize the initial question, by Ruth, which i missed, it
> being my first long weekend where i can be outside and relax ('bank
> holiday', this being London).
> I completely like, adore and support this list
> and i hope it goes on forever,
> as I value the open platform community here,
>
> best
> Johannes Birringer

Wishing you well

Marc

Dr Marc Garrett

Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected cultural ecologies &
economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital Citizenship,
Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc Garrett, Inte Gloerich.
Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019 http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan
Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK