[NetBehaviour] (Putting up a piece from a couple of day ago)

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 23:57:00 CEST 2021

Hello all. shapeshifters!

just watched Alan's video and also realized it may be the last one, as he may not be posting his poetic writing and music here, anymore....
so I watch it as the last one Alan! thank you....

The conversations about how we might shift this "net- behavior" and become more attuned again to what Ruth and Marc may have imagined -
"a place for free and open artistic experimentation with networked media, and community building"  is very intriguing. I just reread the many postings here, and am stimulated and confused, loving all the responses, disagreeing with some......as it should be. I try to be short;  Ruth's parables of the forest (and our poor presence as merely "ethnographic peculiarities") inspired me:  >a campfire in some unmanaged ancient woodland...>>......>>The woods around the campfire are full of watchers and listeners (who knows who??)<<

...the analogies resonated with me, especially over the last 14 months in a pandemic that made me leave academia and spend more time in the forest, recording, performing, linking up, in the valley, with my village community, inventing new rituals, listening to others and what they thought the "latende Allmende" (latent commons, as Anna Tsing calls it in her book on mushrooms and living in the ruins of capitalism) might be like. No one knew exactly, but we talked, and took our masks off.... and walked along the river [see pic]

Well.. what is our "latende Allmende" going to be, with other (younger) participants? do we know the age and gender of the members who post here? i don't, and it never mattered, nor the the number of subscribers ("we don't really know much about us") ? 643,  1625?  59?
is that true?

well, if the commons are evoked, and Furherfield's new director, and new policies or strategic aims (inclusivity, intersectionality, link to local neighborhood) are mentioned in the organization's remit, now what exactly do you want us to do, in our shapeshifting? Have we not actually been engaged....learning/contributing "about what it means to aim for a commons of diverse cultures in connected physical to digital realms. It requires careful planning, partnership building and a lot of production work"......

yes, it does. and we do.

with warm regards
Johannes Birringer