[NetBehaviour] (Putting up a piece from a couple of day ago)

Helen Varley Jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Tue Jun 8 22:15:12 CEST 2021

hi everyone,

i am in an ongoing state of relentless overload so i've been unable to
do much more than periodically delete all the netbehaviour emails (and
multiple other lists). i just don't have the brain space for anything
much at the moment, outisde of the online magdalena festival and UpStage
(both going extremely well and very joyous, just all-consuming!!)

so, having barely read any of the emails about the list, perhaps people
have already said this - but for me netbehaviour has been for a very
very long time an important refuge for me, even if i'm not so often
active on it. i like that it has no imposed structure, it has no
discussion topics or facilitators, it's allowed to be whatever people
need it to be at the time. it has evolved and changed over the years,
and at some point it will cease to exist, but it doesn't feel like it's
reached that point yet. for me it's a valuable alternative to social
media, which i find just too much effort.

i really appreciate ruth & marc's gentle organic management of the list
- i know it's work, i look after other lists & i'm not volunteering to
take anything on. you've done it beautifully for a long time & you don't
have to do it forever. maybe there are others out there with the
motivation to take it on, maybe not. yes i would be sad if/when it
ended, but if there's no-one to take it on then it's time has come.

i've been reading about loss & grief recently as part of the work on the
UpStage project, https://mobilise-demobilise.eu/ - in particular "hope &
grief in the anthropocene" by lesley head, and "the living sea of waking
dreams" by richard flanagan (both australians, incidentally) - about how
crap we western humans are at dealing with grief and loss, and how
important it is that we get better at it, because the future is going to
involve a lot of loss (at least for those of us who lead privileged
western lifestyles). i found both books - the first is an academic text
& the second a novel - very powerful, honest, moving and ultimately
hopeful. loss doesn't have to be a bad thing.

h : )

helen varley jamieson

helen at creative-catalyst.com <mailto:helen at creative-catalyst.com>
http://www.creative-catalyst.com <http://www.creative-catalyst.com>