[NetBehaviour] (Putting up a piece from a couple of day ago)

marc garrett marc.garrett2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:42:08 CEST 2021

Hi Helen,

Always lovely to hear from you,

In view of such a positive response by Netbehaviour users, I think the list
will carry on but, I was especially excited by Ana's words saying, “ We
must change something to keep the things as they are”. I think that's spot
on.

I also really like the idea of having a live meeting to make a few key
decisions via Jistsi etc.

We can have a vote on things or a consensus-based approach.

I was reading and watching some videos about Upstage, it looks like it's
going well. And yes, I completely appreciate what you said about time doing
all this stuff. There's a lot of maintenance going on in the background for
this list, and an awful lot of emotional, psychic and conceptual energy. I
would never take away the love and time you've put into your projects
because they mean a lot to you, the same goes for us.

Will chat more about this to others on the list tomorrow.

Wishing you well.

Marc

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 at 21:15, Helen Varley Jamieson <
helen at creative-catalyst.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> peculiarities") inspired me:  >a campfire in some unmanaged ancient
>>> woodland...>>......>>The woods around the campfire are full of watchers and
>>> listeners (who knows who??)<<
>>>
>>> ...the analogies resonated with me, especially over the last 14 months
>>> in a pandemic that made me leave academia and spend more time in the
>>> forest, recording, performing, linking up, in the valley, with my village
>>> community, inventing new rituals, listening to others and what they thought
>>> the "latende Allmende" (latent commons, as Anna Tsing calls it in her book
>>> on mushrooms and living in the ruins of capitalism) might be like. No one
>>> knew exactly, but we talked, and took our masks off.... and walked along
>>> the river [see pic]
>>>
>>> Well.. what is our "latende Allmende" going to be, with other (younger)
>>> participants? do we know the age and gender of the members who post here? i
>>> don't, and it never mattered, nor the the number of subscribers ("we don't
>>> really know much about us") ? 643,  1625?  59?
>>> is that true?
>>>
>>> well, if the commons are evoked, and Furherfield's new director, and new
>>> policies or strategic aims (inclusivity, intersectionality, link to local
>>> neighborhood) are mentioned in the organization's remit, now what exactly
>>> do you want us to do, in our shapeshifting? Have we not actually been
>>> engaged....learning/contributing "about what it means to aim for a commons
>>> of diverse cultures in connected physical to digital realms. It requires
>>> careful planning, partnership building and a lot of production work"......
>>>
>>> yes, it does. and we do.
>>>

>>> with warm regards
>>> Johannes Birringer

> Ruth Catlow
> she/her
> Co-founder & Artistic director of Furtherfield & DECAL Decentralised Arts
> Lab
> +44 (0) 77370 02879
>
> *I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
> balanced.
>
> **sending thanks
> <https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html> in
> advance
>
> *Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through exhibitions,
> labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
> furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>
>
> *DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0
> technologies research hub
>
> for fairer, more dynamic & connected cultural ecologies & economies now.
>
> decal.is <http://www.decal.is>
>
> Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee
>
> Registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
>
> Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,

Wishing you well

Marc

Dr Marc Garrett

Lab

Furtherfield disrupts & democratises art and technology through
exhibitions, labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free
thinking. http://www.furtherfield.org

DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub for fairer, more dynamic & connected cultural ecologies &
economies now. http://decal.is/

Recent publications:

State Machines: Reflections & Actions at the Edge of Digital Citizenship,
Finance, & Art. Edited by Yiannis Colakides, Marc Garrett, Inte Gloerich.
Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam 2019 http://bit.do/eQgg3

Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain. Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan
Jones, & Sam Skinner. Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK