[NetBehaviour] Work in Progress: Blockchain Temporalities

Eryk Salvaggio eryk.salvaggio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:10:27 CEST 2021

Great work. Struck by the absence of “blockchain” from the original white paper and the wide possibility of reimagining the “timestamp server.” The blockchain has always had a gears-in-clocks aspect of it for me. I explained it to some Swiss folks this way once. In San Francisco I explained that the blockchain are the panels in an infinitely written comic strip: “this happened, then this happened, then this happened.”

But now I have a question: I’d always assumed block time was also being pushed forward by demand, by transactions. No transactions, no new blocks, no puzzles. With Bitcoin the story in my head is a clock ticking at the speed of commerce. In the same way that if we all stood still maybe the clocks would too. (With Ethereum the story gets more complicated).

Now I’ll think about the sky’s potential as a timestamp server: a mechanic sundial designed to spin a small shadow-casting shape in time with the system, the sun writing new blocks into a photogram cyanotype until it’s fixed by rain.

Thanks for this!

-e.