[NetBehaviour] Solstizio Calvino

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:56:16 CEST 2021

Hi all,

This is a project I've been doing annually since June 2018, based on a simple set of elements:

  *   Occurs around the time of the summer solstice
  *   Uses text from Italo Calvino's Six Memos for the Next Millennium
  *   Uses images from the Hennepin County Public Library Special Collection
  *   Uses images of brain scans from people meditating

The first Solstizio was done for the Calzona Museum in Calzona, USA, which is located in a desert area.  The second and third took place in the Mississippi River Gorge Regional Park in Minneapolis, MN, and the fourth will return to a desert area in the western US.

How to bring the elements together is TBD each year.  Some general themes and rubrics I've used have included maps of cities, images of buildings, astronomical images, millstones, and various images from anatomy.  To set up a location, so that interaction can occur, I've used the basic talk/lecture format with images as well as a "stone circle" method.  The latter has consisted of a circle of ordinary mass-produced bricks with a compass orientation, about 30' across, with the images and texts on slips of paper inside the circle so people can pick them up to read or not, keep or not, etc.

If you would like a copy of the paper slips for this year please feel free to contact me offlist and I can send a PDF.

All best,

Max