[NetBehaviour] Netbehaviour renewal - Occupy? a commons? by a fire, in the ruins in an ancient woodland

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 16:51:04 CEST 2021

Hi Ruth,

I probably stand alone here. Occupy was many things, wasn't that well
organized, I was there several times. There was always a drum circle on the
outskirts that interrupted flow. There were outlying groups and meetings
that weren't on the main site. It was chaotic. It was bottom up.

I don't like the suggestion below. First, I'm on a number of lists; on most
of them I don't post, but I learn. This is a tradition all the way back.
There are lists people have been silent on because they've infiltrated
right-wing or fascist organizations. There are people on lists who don't
want to be counted or accounted for, for many reasons. Your suggestion
seems like a forced enrollment: come forward, tell everyone who you are, or
you're gone. Another way to look at that: It's a privilege to be on this
list and you must actively participate or you're gone. Or it's your duty as
a member of this list to participate or you're gone. Or if you're shy and
just interested in reading or possibly backchanneling only, you're gone.

This literally has me in tears. For me, again, lists have had the advantage
of the commons. But this commons then has a different purpose, and if you
don't fit in, leave. Then it's not a commons, is it? Or are you talking
about a commons where people must announce their presence or be gone? You
say "This revolved around efforts to create open access" - but does this
mean that you _must_ access publicly and make your presence known?

Every list I'm on, by the way, is advertising-free; people might announce
they have a harmonica for sale (harmonica list) or a new book has come out
(wryting-l) or they're showing somewhere (Netbehaviour), but they're not
advertisement-based of course. People announce from within the list, not to
it.

We have to "know who is in the woods"? In England, perhaps land and
parkland is managed differently than in the U.S. You have to sign in at
National Parks, but just once - in fact that's like a subscription - but
you don't need to announce who you are on any basis to everyone else. In
state parks, you just go in, Much as this country is horrific and lawless
and armed to the teeth, we feel comfortable going to parks (except for the
tics).

I honestly don't feel comfortable on this list, and apologies for not being
more helpful. I'll continue posting daily, you'll do what you want to do;
the very performative discussion of unsubscribe is a signifier of power. I
am so tired of, so worn out, by promulgations of power. (Yes, I know, power
is everywhere, etc. But there are degrees and there are safe spaces, at
least for now.)

Alan

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 10:06 AM Ruth Catlow via NetBehaviour <

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*