[NetBehaviour] Storytelling and sorting

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 20:00:49 CEST 2021

Beautiful and poetic!
Ana

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 14:40, Pall Thayer via NetBehaviour <

> Most of us, who spend lots of time making computers do things, know about
> data and how easily it can be manipulated to tell vastly different stories.
> A database is a completely abstract way of storing big amounts of data. The
> database itself doesn't care what kind of data it is, what it's meant to
> record or what any of it means. But when we extract that data from a
> database, we lend meaning to it by sorting it. We could probably find some
> news outlets who present the exact same data but manipulate its meaning by
> sorting it in different ways.
>
> Lately, I've been applying these notions to digital images. Digital images
> are simply data that have been sorted in a specific way to present a
> specific image. But, just like with textual and numerical data, we can
> re-sort this data to create new stories (see attached).
>
> Ps. submitting this to stay on the list! Thanks for all you do Ruth and
> Marc.
>
> Pall Thayer

https://anavaldes.wordpress.com/
www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci