[NetBehaviour] Legacy Hubris

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Mar 21 02:59:55 CET 2021

Legacy Hubris

http://www.alansondheim.org/legacy.jpg

I leave no legacy behind. Or rather: None recognizable. I am
constantly trying to get my essay/theory/prosework published.
There is no interest at all. I worry of course about its total
disappearance. So much of the world has changed in the last five
minutes. I whine. I've spent most of my life trying to get people
to take seriously what I do. And so forth. At the prompt in
panix.com I type:

k8% weather

And again what appears:

Weather Conditions at 06:51 PM EDT on 17 May 2020 for New York
JFK, NY.
Temp(F)    Humidity(%)    Wind(mph)    Pressure(in)    Weather
  55        83%           SE at 7       30.24     Mostly Cloudy

Forecast for New York, NY 704 PM EDT sun may 17 2020

.Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s. Southeast winds
5 to 10 mph, becoming east after midnight.
.Monday...Mostly cloudy in the morning, then becoming partly
sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.
.Monday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. East winds
10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
.Tuesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. East winds 15 to
20 mph.
.Tuesday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. East winds
10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
.Wednesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.
.Wednesday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s.
.Thursday...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.
.Thursday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.
.Friday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers.
    Press Return to continue, M to return to menu, X to exit:

Highs in the lower 70s.
.Friday night...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of
showers. Lows around 60.
.Saturday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers.
Highs in the mid 70s.
.Saturday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.
.Sunday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

This is still there, a remnant. The weather has been deprecated.
Is this forecast true? I have no idea now. Whenever I type

k10% weather

It's the same.

If I type:

k11% weather PVD

for Providence, I find (O Happy Day!):

Forecast for Providence, RI
715 PM EDT sun may 17 2020

.Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. South winds 5
10 mph.
.Monday...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s. East winds 5 to
10 mph.
.Monday night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Northeast
winds 5 to 10 mph.
.Tuesday...Mostly sunny. Highs around 60. Northeast winds 15 to
20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
.Tuesday night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s.
Northeast
winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening.
.Wednesday...Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.
.Wednesday night...Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s.
.Thursday...Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s.
.Thursday night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s.
.Friday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.
    Press Return to continue, M to return to menu, X to exit:

.Friday night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.
.Saturday...Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers.
Highs in the lower 70s.
.Saturday night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.
.Sunday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s.

I leave the header off.

Note it's a slightly later time.

I'm like these forecasts; somewhere in the central furnace of the
internet, a weather map is held in perpetuity - static and
forever until the legacy machine-with-weather breaks down or
someone notices perhaps the problem here.

"And sanity sets aright depression truth there is - this, Julu,
is my legacy - theorems or axioms of the world's worlding -
unlike truth this, legacy 'I sometimes think: O.K., so maybe you
won't leave a legacy to the world, all a legacy can provide - a
hope for the living, a guide for their immortality.'"

Alas, transparent, I derail myself.