[NetBehaviour] Weather

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Mar 26 02:44:08 CET 2021

Weather

"It's raining out."
"It's sunny out."
What is "it"?

[Looking up] "It looks like it's going to rain."
[Looking up] "It looks like it's going to be a sunny day."
What is "it"?
Perhaps the cloud looks like it's going to rain: to emit rain.
Perhaps the disappearing cloud looks like a welcoming of the sun.
"The sun looks like the sun is going to be a sunny day."
Of course not. Nothing happens to the sun.

"The cloud looks like it's going to emit rain."
The cloud is going to start doing something.
"What is the cloud doing? The cloud is raining."
That doesn't seem quite right.

"Look, the cloud stopped raining."
Not quite yet.
"It's a rainy day."
"The day is rainy."
"Like a gray day, the day is rainy."
But not the same: a gray day is an adjective applied to the day.
We understand it references the day.
But can a day be rainy? Rain can fall during the day.
Well, the day is an interval of time.
So rain is falling during that interval of time.
So is "'It' an interval of time"?

"It's a rainy day."
"During the interval of the day, it's raining out."
There's an odd recursion here.
Let's back up.

Perhaps "It's a rainy day." = "Jupiter is making it rain."
What is "it"?
Perhaps the empyrean sphere is hurtling rain towards the ground.

"Look, it's raining out! And not a cloud in the sky!"
If we're outdoors, "Look it's raining! And not a cloud in the sky!"

I want to propose that rain or snow or any weather phenomenon for
that matter is bootstrapping.

"It's raining out!"
The rain is raining out.
"It's windy today."