[NetBehaviour] Mnemosyne Atlas question

Max Herman maxnmherman at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 20:36:42 CET 2021

Hi all,

This is a very interesting link, with a high-definition image of Panel 48 and a "guided tour" that includes some text and context.

https://warburg.library.cornell.edu/panel/48

Panel 48 addresses the theme of Fortuna, or the ancient deity Fortune.  Of helpful relevance is that it includes the Leonardo image I have been trying to study this month, Allegory with Dog and Eagle.  Just as Leonardo's image Woman Standing in a Landscape echoes Botticelli's illustration of Purgatorio XXVIII, the Allegory with Dog and Eagle strongly echoes elements of Botticelli's illustrations of Purgatorio II, III, IX, and XXXII.  Two such parallels do help affirm the likelihood of an intentional connection by Leonardo to the works of Dante.

Be that as it may, what Warburg's approach implies, it appears to me, is that the texts and images by various people are in a kind of recombinant dialogue wherein the meaning of each image is interwoven with the others, as in a kind of conversation, or the milieu of a city, or alternatively, a dream state.

From the site's description: "The panel [48] shows how the symbolization of Fortuna shifts from the medieval wheel, with its connotations of human helplessness, to an alluring female figure whose fluttering garments resemble a ship's sails and whose hand controls the tiller of fate."  This could relate to my hypothesis that in the figure of the Mona Lisa, Leonardo is attempting to integrate a wide range of meanings including Dante's representations of Fortune and Beatrice into an allegorized personification of his own design -- Esperienza -- who would correlate therefore with this overall context regarding Fortune.

Of course, in Allegory with Dog and Eagle, it is not a deity but a faithful canine whose paw is on the tiller as well as the compass.  (Another interesting image by Leonardo depicts a similarly-shaped compass with gears attached underneath, presumably a kind of steering mechanism.)  There is an imaginative and aesthetic logic to this choice if we consider Leonardo's definition of Esperienza as guide and teacher, not servant, to whom the artist and scientist owe respectful regard if their pursuits are to be sound and enduring.

The principle of Fortune is, especially viewed as Warburg presents it in a state of transformation, also potentially relevant to the present-day debates regarding experimental digital currencies and the related issues of concealment, authenticity, sustainable economics, and the like.

Looking forward of course also to reading the great links provided to Gombrich and more!

All very best regards,

Max

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sandro_Botticelli%27s_illustrations_to_the_Divine_Comedy

https://www.leonardo.info/blog/2021/02/04/the-mindful-mona-lisa-fortunes-garment-in-dante-and-machiavelli