[NetBehaviour] The Eternal Exercise And A Comment

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Wed May 5 23:42:15 CEST 2021

Hi Annie,
It's a practice that keeps me focused; I have what I call 'waves' of
content that flow through the sections - for example analog/digital
phenomenology / gamespace/edgespace/blankspace / splatter semiotics / etc.
It's like meditation; I learn from the practice and honestly have done this
most of my life. Early on I was also influenced by Delta Blues music (and
was at times close to people like Al Wilson through whom I met Son House
etc.) - and I soon was listening to 60s-70s free jazz (people like Albert
Ayler, Archie Schepp, John Coltrane, and so many others) - and almost all
the musicians I know practice/play/think/produce/ etc. every day - it's I
think a different way of working, I have to keep re-inventing myself in a
sense, but also paying close attention to what I think might be valuable or
somehow true at times, and then question those underpinnings. There are
diarists like Viktor Klemperer and Kierkegaard who have also influenced me
- daily writing... And from people like Kristeva and Irigaray I was also
inspired to think more about embodied art, which is daily practice; most of
the artists I knew early on like Vito Acconci, Rosemary Mayer, Bernadette
Mayer, and so forth were also constantly producing. It's somewhat of a work
ethic I think as well.  --
Hope this answers somewhat and thanks for asking!
Best, Alan

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 5:24 PM Annie Abrahams via NetBehaviour <

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*