[NetBehaviour] back in

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue May 25 03:00:54 CEST 2021

back in

http://www.alansondheim.org/backin.jpg
https://youtu.be/iKa_HUZ8Egg VIDEO

Back in. I'm going back in/to improvisation and practice. The
more I practice the more difficult it becomes and the more I have
to contradict myself. And in these two pieces I am contradicting
myself constantly trying to stretch my fingers and speed to the
limit so that I can develop new directions to work within. This
is more than difficult for me - it's almost impossible because
I've been away from the Musima guitar which is one that requires
a fair amount of dexterity to play properly. So that is where I
am. The first and last sections are identical and played on a
small Albanian qifteli. The gifteli is used as in a repetitive
fashion, creating figures that never come together but split,
coalesce, disappear, and bracket the guitar playing.

This is the way I practice. I tried to contradict myself as much
as possible. Without the contradictions there is no progress,
without the difficulty there is no progress; I have to make it
hard on myself playing in a way that I almost can't do properly.
And this way I move forward inch by inch. Not very fast and not
towards the goal but always opening up into the indeterminate.