[NetBehaviour] email lists -

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sun May 30 20:59:22 CEST 2021

Dear Annie and netbehaviourists

I do feel differently; I've had amazing exchanges with you and Johannes
Birringer and many others, and I can't imagine these occurring on Facebook;
the very phenomenology of the stream mitigates against that. I don't know
what you mean by "old" "intellectuals" since a number of people on the
lists are also young. The list isn't sex, but sex is and sex is a lot
faster than a list. It's the idea of "old" that bothers me; on Facebook
where I post, as I mentioned, I get numbers of likes or loves to an image,
but texts aren't taken seriously.

Which for me reflects the whole intellectual apparatus of at least the US
and possibly Europe - the need to be an academic or gallery- or magazine-
affiliated. I have none of these and at ELO I felt for example as a total
outsider. And that's a real problem. There are constant money issues,
access issues, equipment issues, travel issues, survival issues, health
issues, audience issues, etc. that are available if not taken for granted
if you work at a university or tech company. Those issues dominate. My
equipment is seriously poor at this point. God knows what happens in the
rest of the world, where there may be no equipment at all. And these issues
are fundamentally class issues: the intellectual class, old or not, is
defined and siloed by its connections and potentials for connections. I
wake up sometimes thinking critically and artistically I'm dead and why
continue at all. And if I feel that way, again - God knows what happens in
the rest of the world.

I don't read everything on mailing lists, but I take the time to at least
skim. And when I do reply (and I will always reply if I can to you, for
example), I'll do more than click stupidly on like/love/care/angry and
other emoji (which I use as well) (and which are frankly insulting -
someone takes the time to put up something that make take hours, weeks -
and the reply is a click??

It's the stream stream stream stream stream which is NOT flow but
inherently violent, sexist, racist, ageist, and anything else that
excludes. Influencers bet on it: become part of the part or I WAS HERE BUT
I DISAPPEAR. (maybe misquote from The Harder They Come).

As far as NFT goes, I agree with your remark; again it drains any real
discussion re: violence, aesthetics, philosophy, sexism, racism, etc. ..
It's party time; you can't think against the stream; the boat you might
rock founders on it.

As far as Netbehaviour goes, I do hope discussion and presentation both
pick up here. And I do NOT think it's an issue of age or intellectualism -
but a need for ANYONE to have a space to think and discuss slowly enough
within a space of consideration and considerateness...

Best, Alan, and thank you for the reply.

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 11:55 AM Annie Abrahams via NetBehaviour <

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*