[NetBehaviour] Like Buses

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Mon May 31 12:43:15 CEST 2021

Dear All,

Thanks for raising the question Alan.

I agree with Edward that art* as* conversation has moved to platforms like
Instagram. I follow a lot of early (and not so early) personal net art
inspirations there - Auriea Harvey, Kate Southworth, Gretta Louw and Marc
Garrett;) - whose work seems to be turning away from reflexive and
media-critical concerns and returning to image production for a million
reasons.

Congratulations Rhea, for your contribution to artistry and explanation in
the tough-to-navigate terrain of art blockchain and NFTs - I find your
Southebys video an example of clarity and generosity. The breadcrumbs show
looks very lively!

I find the sharing of links an excellent way to have a kind of conversation
because it allows people to port into different conversations where they
occur (in their native territory). It's laborious to try and convey all the
contexts if everyone isn't involved in the same explorations. I find it
harder to follow long textual conversations here in-list.

Annie, if you have questions I don't understand why you start with a
declaration of hate. I did try (very imperfectly) to respond to questions
about NFTs and energy, earlier this year, and I thought we had built some
shared understanding in the process. One of the things I struggled with at
that time was the realisation that Netbehaviour no longer functioned for me
as a community of practice. By which I mean we are no longer united by a
spirit of common investigation - where people learn, critique, explore
together - the polarisation is too strong. I participate in a number of
telegram and discord channels for this purpose now, but I give the most
energy to those projects in which I am an active participant. My favourite
"conversations" are inter-media and they co-create artistic community. I'd
happily talk more about some examples of these (maybe I'll send some links
soon;)

This list is still very important to me personally - but it somehow sits
outside of time and production. This sense is emphasised by Alan's use of
it as a daily performance platform- this keeps the list alive and sets a
particular tone. I feel it is peopled by a longstanding community of
artist, techie and thinker friends, connected by a shared experience of the
early web, who are all "becoming" and are sometimes curious about each
others' ways and discoveries. The spirit of kind curiosity about art and
sociality is what I value most here. It feels like an unmanicured part of
the art-nature web, and I learn from it.

So...

Here's a question we have been talking about at Furtherfield...* Is it time
for us to hand on the Netbehaviour baton?*

Perhaps this group of people would be better served by a more focused,
structured approach, or another style of approach entirely. Personally, I'd
love to see where other people might take it. I can imagine it suddenly
shapeshifting into an entirely different creature.

What does everyone think? Would anyone like to take it on? Does it feel
like the right time?

Do let us know. Here or in a private email. We can talk about what it might
be, and become.

We would be happy to support the baton handover process and I personally
would love to come and hang out with you all as someone else's guest; )

warmly
Ruth

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:14 AM rhea via NetBehaviour <

> Heya everyone.
>
> Thank you for your kind wishes. I massively appreciate it.
>
> I have more (but different) news! Some of the blockchain work I've made
> since 2014 has got more artworld attention over the last few months. 👀
>
> I have work in a show -
>
> https://nagel-draxler.de/exhibition/breadcrumbs/
>
> An Auction (there's a video of me talking about the work on the page) -
>

> https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/natively-digital-a-curated-nft-sale-2/secret-artwork-content
>
> And a book -
>
> http://www.postmediabooks.it/2021/303surfing/9788874903030.htm
>
> Also @coin_artist has very kindly credited me as an advisor for a piece
> that *she* has at auction -
>

> https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/proof-sovereignty-curated-nft-sale-lady-pheonix/coin-artist-b-1985-18/121279
>
> It's interesting to see what grabs people's imagination. And how much
> money I could have made if I had either worked with NFTs from the start or
> waited until this year. 😺
>
> - Rhea.

Ruth Catlow
she/her
Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
balanced.

**sending thanks
<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
in
advance

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.