[NetBehaviour] Like Buses

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Mon May 31 16:48:54 CEST 2021

Hi Ruth and others,

To be honest, it might be better to let Netbehaviour go, if you feel like
this; the great thing about it, for me, is that it is a completely open
platform; people can post what they want to it. When you talk about being
"someone else's guest" you're talking about a very different structure like
empyre, which has guests and topics. Netbehaviour has been and at least for
me continues to be more of a community. To "hangout" as well implies themes
or something like Discord channels.

I've found Netbehaviour invaluable; I wouldn't have gone personally in the
directions of blockchains, Larf, the work others are doing here - and
that's what makes it so important - that it's a level playing field. If you
do want to end it, please do of course. For me, I value the community.

Precisely because Annie objects, it feels like that, like a community. And
I think we need all sorts of viewpoints; it feels open, and people come and
go when it's functioning well. I was thinking that this list had less
activity because of Covid, but the two (smaller) lists I run have bounced
back.

Of course if you find it a burden, Ruth, that's another issue altogether.
For me I don't want people to "take the list in another direction" or any
direction at all. The value is that it's not a stream, that it's not
dedicated one way or another. I'm interested in seeing not what it might
become, as you say, but what it is. It reminds me of when I was at
Furtherfield; people did all sorts of things...

And of course I'm willing to have the list disappear if that's what people
want; I'm running two lists, Cybermind and Wryting-L; these *are*
communities and have been for decades. Wryting-L is dedicated to people's
writing/writhing/wreathing in - creative work, Cybermind is much quieter
now, a community that began in 1994 with me Michael Current who died at a
very young age. But we continue on and it's incredibly rewarding.

Best, Alan

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 6:46 AM Ruth Catlow via NetBehaviour <

gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*