[NetBehaviour] Soooooo This Is Happening… 😺

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:52:29 CET 2021

Gretta I just lost half an hour swimming through your recent work - it
seems suddenly to have taken on a whole new life and it is so good for the
eyes and heart. Just wish that I could see the exhibitions in the flesh
(and textiles). The gif you have created is great too!
I'm dead curious to hear how it goes with Penk. It's hard to gauge exactly
what the true mission of the project is from afar (which, knowing Penk, has
to be deliberate). Would love a report from the ground about the whole
experience!

And it is a real thrill that Urbanomic is publishing this book of all of
Rhea's mindbendingly great writing, and that so much of it had it's first
home with Furtherfield : )

: D

Ruth

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Gretta Louw via NetBehaviour <

> Congratulations, Rhea! Sounds amazing! Do send out a reminder once the
> book actually becomes available, I didn’t see a link to pre-order it.
>
> I’ve been watching the blockchain stuff almost exclusively from the
> sidelines the last year or so, but recently donated a work to this charity
> sale / performative action by Peng! Collective.
> https://www.goldennft.art/de The basic premise is using the financial
> power of the NFT market for progressive political causes; selling NFTs
> (some original, some algorithmically produced mash-ups) with the goal of
> buying a golden visa for a refugee family. I have complex feelings about it.
>
> Hope you’re well,
>
> Gretta
>

> On 28. Oct 2021, at 04:51, Rhea Myers via NetBehaviour <
>
> Proof of Work
> Blockchain Provocations 2011–2021
>

>    - Paperback
>    - 250×190mm
>    - 220pp
>    - Colour illustrations
>    - Jun 2022
>    - ISBN 978-1-915103-04-8
>

> https://www.urbanomic.com/book/proof-of-work/
>
> DAO? BTC? NFT? ETH? ART? WTF? HODL as OG crypto artist, writer, and hacker
> Rhea Myers searches for faces in cryptographic hashes, follows a day in the
> life of a young shibe in the year 2032, and patiently explains why all art
> should be destructively uploaded to the blockchain.
>
> Now an acknowledged pioneer whose work has graced the auction room at
> Sotheby’s, Myers embarked on her first art projects focusing on blockchain
> tech in 2011, making her one of the first artists to engage in creative,
> speculative and conceptual engagements with ‘the new internet’.
>
> This anthology brings together annotated presentations of Myers’s
> blockchain artworks along with her essays, critiques, reviews, and
> fictions—a sustained critical encounter between the cultures and histories
> of the artworld and crypto-utopianism, technically accomplished but always
> generously demystifying and often mischievous.
>
> Her deep understanding of the technical history and debates around
> blockchain technology is complemented by a broader sense of the crypto
> movement and the artistic and political sensibilities that accompanied its
> ascendancy.
>
> Remodelling the tropes of conceptual art and net.art to explore what
> blockchain technology reveals about our concepts of value, culture and
> currency, Myers’s work has become a required viewing for anyone interested
> in the future of art, consensus, law, and collectivity.

Ruth Catlow
she/her
Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
balanced.

**sending thanks
<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
in
advance

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

https://decal.furtherfield.org/ <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.