[NetBehaviour] What would happen if art institutions would work with energy budgets?

Danielle Siembieda dsiembieda at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 01:25:13 CEST 2021

There is a new program out of Canada that has a manifesto they have been sharing out http://sustainablecurating.ca/

I do like this approach and gives a lot of thought to how we do things both in-person and online.
Personally, this has been my longest project (artinspector.org) within many iterations of trying to change artists, performers, cultural workers. It seems it's just not getting some attention but ultimately this is about changing the way we teach, changing the way we consume, and creating new forms of the supply chain.

Energy is the most approachable part of this as there are policies and incentives for this. Its the other aspect around making that lacks a clear path.

One other aspect of thinking through all of this is the fact that you cannot separate environmental justice from the climate crisis. This should be involved in how artists look at their practice whether or not their practice is directed at climate work or not.  If art is a profession the profession needs to adapt.

sustainablecurating.ca<http://sustainablecurating.ca/>
The Centre for Sustainable Curating supports research, exhibitions, visual/digital production, and pedagogy focused on environmental and social justice. Located in the Department of Visual Arts at Western University, the CSC encourages research into waste, pollution, and climate crisis, and the development of exhibitions and artworks with low carbon footprints
sustainablecurating.ca

danielle siembieda
siembieda.com<http://www.siembieda.com>[X]