[NetBehaviour] Wavelets, water, bridges

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 16:58:05 CEST 2021

Thanks for these references and writings, Simon, Max and Anthony....
and while I pondered what was said about bridges, and the comment on the bridges book (..."also evaluates the concept of bridge from a network perspective, exploring the nature of connections i.e. how accelerated hyperconnectivity can be a form of isolation, control, and homogeneity lacking informational richness"), it occurred to me that no mention is really made of water, and all the issues that could be brought up in regard to its crucial role on our earth and its "network" connectedness for our survival.

In this context, if you are interested, an art review I found in "Afterall 49" really got me hooked to re-redirecting bad memories from this summer's dismal floods in Germany to different memories of how crucial rivers are, and thus also exploring a kind of imaginary "river flow."
We performed it in the dance studio yesterday, hoping it might enable a certain visceral connectedness into "drawing out" (with graphite on extended paper roll) an unruly, winding, perhaps serpentine river-run on the canvas to sounds we generated and mixed (we photographed the action to build towards further media research to be done on water, hydropower, capitalist extraction, hydro-engineering, ecological democracy..... along the lines perhaps of the collages that Forensic Architecture uses in their politically invested critical installations (who owns, occupies and has the right to land is always a thorny enough question yet the flow of water presents even more complicated conflicts?)

The review article is "When Walls Become Rivers: Carolina Caycedo’s 'Serpent River Book' (by Lisa Blackmore), and can be found here (https://afterall.org/article/when-walls-become-rivers)

If you wish to see a bit of Caycedo’s challenging and intricate 'Serpent River' installation, here it is:
http://carolinacaycedo.com/serpent-river-book

regards
Johannes Birringer
dap-lab