[NetBehaviour] Nuit

Ruth Catlow ruthcatlow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:09:50 CEST 2022

Aside from what we hear in the news, I keep hearing and reading things from
different friends and collaborators about increasing state oppression in
China:
- European cultural collaborations declared illegal and long term
large-scale cultural cooperations closed down;
- increasingly coercive use of the state social credit system;
- and even clamp-downs on larping
https://www.economist.com/china/2022/07/07/chinas-communist-party-cracks-down-on-larping

Meanwhile in the UK we enjoy comparative cultural freedoms while the fabric
of society is slowly being dismantled (in healthcare, energy and food
security, and trust in democratic process). The war of the rich on the poor
is now being drawn in full colour all around us.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 4:59 PM Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <

> Yeah, I don't understand Pelosi at all; she doesn't set foreign policy and
> did a huge amount of damage.
>
> Here, for us, it's not just crisis fatigue; Azure and I are utterly
> isolated in Providence, pretty much broken away from our families but also
> still have no local friends except one who we see every couple of months.
> The isolation is killing. I was going to put up a notice on Facebook,
> DON'T DISCARD ME, but thought better of it :-) . I've started taking bits
> of medication but don't want to go down that route...
>
> At least I feel I'm able to make some sort of cultural contribution, if
> only at a distance...
>
> love to all, Alan -
>
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2022, Edward Picot wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:38:24 +0100
> > From: Edward Picot <edward at edwardpicot.com>
> > To: netbehaviour at lists.netbehaviour.org
> > Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Nuit
> >
> > Alan,
> >
> > We're worried. I'm worried, anyway. I was talking to my brother about it
> > today. Let's hope it's all just sabre-rattling and it blows over, but
> that's
> > what we hoped about the Ukraine. The US can't afford to drive Russia and
> > China into each other's arms any more than is already the case, and this
> has
> > given China the opportunity to write a narrative about unwarranted US
> > interference, and a betrayal of the 'One China' policy... On the other
> hand
> > we're all suffering from crisis fatigue, Taiwan is a lot further away
> than
> > the Ukraine, and of course there are a lot of people who just never pay
> any
> > attention to international news at all... I think on the whole the
> reaction
> > is 'Oh Christ, here's another thing to worry about; what does that
> bloody
> > idiot Nancy Pelosi think she's achieving?; let's hope it doesn't all
> kick
> > off'.
> >
> > Edward
> >
> > On 8/5/22 8:39 PM, Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour wrote:
> >>

> >>  Thanks for this. On a related issue, how are people in England
> responding
> >>  to the uptick in China/Taiwan tension? From here, the world often
> appears
> >>  heading towards Armageddon with no recourse...
> >>
> >>  - Alan -

> towards

Ruth Catlow
she/her
Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
balanced.

**sending thanks
<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
in
advance

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

https://decal.furtherfield.org/

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.