[NetBehaviour] Wittgenstein TLP 4.112

Paul Hertz ignotus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:11:14 UTC 2022

Tätigkeit <activity>
Tatsache <fact>

Take them apart and a fact is an act-thing, Tat+sache. Tätigkeit seems not
so much an "activity" as a state (-keit) of acting, but that would be a
clumsy translation. At least, as I recall from my later studies of a
language my parents tried to teach me.

There's a lapidary phrase of José Maria Valverde, the noted Spanish poet,
literary critic, and historian of philosophy, found in his *Vida y muerte
de las ideas: pequeñas historias del pensamiento* (Life and death of Ideas:
little stories of thought), on the inextricable bond of philosophy and
language: "De la filosofía sin palabras, ni hablar!", Let's not even talk
about philosophy without words! "Ni hablar" has a vernacular ring about it,
and I've always wondered if lurking in the humor of the phrase there was
precisely an invitation to indulge in philosophy without words but never,
never to speak of it -- for one can't.

// Paul

http://paulhertz.net/