[NetBehaviour] Wittgenstein TLP 4.112

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Jan 13 19:39:56 UTC 2022

Hi Paul,

There are three translations we have here of TLP and they all agree on
that phrasing; what you describe is also at the end of the book, 7, what
we can't talk about we must consign to silence - which is about the only
thing people mention when the discuss the book today. But it references
deeper roots all through the book which is highly constructed, not to lead
there, but to lead towards ways of describing the world, which is also
that is the case in the beginning of the text. It's not a turning towards
mysticism or silent philosophy, as all his later work showed of course -
the later work reflecting a kind of idle conversation that was anything
but. It's interesting that Karl Kraus knew of TLP and read it; I think
they might have known each other in fact, and Kraus in other ways had
exactly the same precision.

Best, Alan and thank you!