[NetBehaviour] Splatter Aesthetics

Paul Hertz ignotus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 19:16:41 UTC 2022

That splatter painting is pretty, yeah, but not over the top, where you'll
find Howardena Pindell, whose work also has the grace to plumb the
histories of women and people of color in its materiality without tossing
any sops to gentry looking for beautiful, valuable objects that will
comfort them with a mild aesthetic charge.

Or maybe it's ironic, an *insincere* Pollock. Wait -- Jaspers Johns already
mined that lode, action painting without the blistering angst encoded in
each spontaneous (not!) brushstroke, leading us to reconsider the cultural
lexicon of big man painting. Thank you, DH, for repeating the obvious.

Sorry, it's easy to dump on Damien's work. Easier still to ignore it.

// Paul

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 11:24 AM Anthony Stephenson via NetBehaviour <

http://paulhertz.net/