[NetBehaviour] Ukraine 2, sarangi

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Mar 10 17:03:18 CET 2022

Ukraine 2, sarangi

http://www.alansondheim.org/music.jpg
https://youtu.be/KWvc2KaKS7E video

technical: 90-year-old sarangi, original thick gut strings.
using a cello bow with bass rosin. the instrument has a raspy
sound, down in the throat. it's heavy and has no supporting
bar in the interior of the body. it's also slightly smaller
than my other one. the decoration and fingerboard may be bone
or ivory. the overall appearance is both crude and subtle.
it's extremely difficult to play (at least for me) because of
the thickness of the strings. the sarangi is fingered by
pressing the nails of the left hand against the strings which
are high off the fingerboard. the strings aren't pressed down.
there are three playing strings, octave and fourth/fifth.
there are 34 sympathetic strings; on this instrument, it's
almost impossible to get them to hold position because of the
warping. a brilliant sarangi player can get four octaves on
the high string. the strings are attached to other strings on
the far side of the bridge, by knots. see the instrument on
the left in http://www.alansondheim.org/sarangis.jpg . the
sympathetic strings are not entirely in tune. a good sarangi
player would take ten minutes to tune to a particular raga. i
take close to an hour and the strings slip. this instrument
imitates a 'growly' human voice. it can be very response and
can be hell on a bow. i use a viola bow here. i work better
with a 'salt and pepper' violin bow, but it's hell on that.
many players use cello bows today. the instrument is held
vertically. i sit on a carpet and it balances perfectly. i
have no aspirations or ability to play classically. it would
take years of training to master. i make my own way on it. i
have nothing but respect for the sarangi, and this sarangi in
particular. i believe they tend not to last long; it's hard
to find an old one that can be played at all. at first i
almost gave up. it would never sound classical, at least with
the old strings. but i worked into the possibilities of
playing my own music, pushing it as far as i can. this is the
result.

"about moon and moments falls the roam and twenty six about
among the within mouths been sound. a and this leaving above
a moments falls knotting. difficult  are one being. are
before, mouths i've sound. long absent, a sound a the moon, half
of falls knotting. a so moon. sea. non being, and making and
i've sound. long how moment on under leaving important hours. of
falls knotting. explore among the the being humans something
hands i've sound. time, hold time, the the a for they
inconceivable falls inconceivable they dogen house sea. edge
time, hold time, i've i've hands something that of beneath above
among explore inconceivable falls inconceivable hours. for
leaving under on in to time, sound. i've hands making and
non being, sea. moon. others. a knotting. falls of half moon,
moon house behind, a how long sound. i've and sounds biospheres
non being young there so difficult knotting. falls of a moon,
above inhabiting leaving is absent, a sound. been mouths before,
the listening mad twenty six and difficult the falls moments and
  music passing. here, this and a sound. been on within gristle
the music pieces  roam the falls and two other mad passing.
to well present for sound. been our mouth, a sound young between
and and the falls and under the one recent we i'm intensity,
this sound. thinking end, among minor its mad two a ruin music
falls uncouplings slightly  painting over did arms. even this
sound. thinking end, the in go painting let's total of music
falls dis/interested of moon mad returning. galaxy, in
unmeasured. about sound. about feet cradled a forth, old call
them of music music dis/interested them call one never random
cradled elsewhere, about sound. about elsewhere, in galaxy,
returning. mad moon of dis/interested falls music of between
let's painting go in fingers, feet thinking sound. this
unmeasured. the how over about  slightly uncouplings falls
music ruin a offerings. mad its planet among end, thinking
sound. this even i'm we my old and under and falls music and and
between one or a mouth, our been sound. for intensity, well to
past, mad other two and falls the and  distributed music the
of the on been sound. for present aware be passing. about moon
and moments falls the roam and twenty six mad listening the
within mouths been sound. a and is leaving above moon, a
moments falls knotting. difficult  there one being. are sounds
and i've sound. long absent, a sound a the moon, half of falls
knotting. a others. moon. sea. non being, and making and i've
sound. long to moment on under leaving important hours. of falls
knotting. explore among above beneath being humans something
hands i've sound. time, hold time, edge the house dogen they
inconceivable falls inconceivable they dogen house sea. edge
time, hold time, i've i've hands something that of beneath above
among explore inconceivable falls inconceivable hours. important
leaving under on in to long sound. i've and making and
non being, sea. moon. others. a knotting. falls of half moon,
moon a behind, a how long sound. i've and sounds biospheres
being. one there so difficult knotting. falls moments a moon,
above inhabiting leaving is absent, a sound. been mouths before,
the listening mad twenty six and roam the falls moments and
moon about passing. be aware present for sound. been on the
gristle the music pieces  roam the falls and two other mad
past, to well intensity, for sound. been our mouth, a or young
between and and music falls and under the old recent we i'm even
this sound. thinking end, among minor its mad two a ruin music
falls uncouplings slightly  painting over did the unmeasured.
this sound. thinking feet the in go painting let's between of
music falls dis/interested of moon mad returning. galaxy, in
elsewhere, about sound. about elsewhere, cradled random never
old call them dis/interested music music dis/interested them
call old never a cradled feet about sound. about elsewhere, in
galaxy, returning. mad moon of dis/interested falls music of
total let's painting go in the feet thinking sound. this
unmeasured. the did over painting  slightly uncouplings falls
music ruin a two mad its minor among end, thinking sound. this
even i'm we recent old the under and falls the and and between
young or a mouth, our been sound. for intensity, well to past,
mad other two and falls the roam  pieces music the gristle
the on been sound. for present aware be passing. music moon and
moments falls the roam and twenty six mad listening the before,
mouths been sound. a absent, is leaving inhabiting above moon,
a moments falls knotting. difficult so there young being.
biospheres sounds and i've sound. long how a behind, a moon
moon, half of falls knotting. a others. moon. sea. non being,
and making hands i've sound. long to in on under leaving
important hours. inconceivable falls inconceivable explore among
above beneath of that something hands i've i've time, hold time,
edge sea. house dogen they inconceivable falls inconceivable
they dogen house the edge time, hold time, sound. i've hands
something humans being beneath above among explore knotting.
falls of hours. important leaving under on moment to long sound.
i've and making and non being, sea. moon. others. a knotting.
falls of half moon, the a sound a absent, long sound. i've and
sounds are being. one are  difficult knotting. falls moments a
above leaving is and a sound. been mouths within the among
mad twenty six and roam the falls moments and moon about
passing. be aware present for sound. been on the of the music
distributed  and the falls and two other mad past, to well
intensity, for sound. been our mouth, a or one between and and
music falls and under and old my we arms. even this sound.
thinking end, among planet absence. mad offerings. total ruin
music falls uncouplings slightly  about over how the
unmeasured. this sound."