[NetBehaviour] Robert Cheatham, In Memoriam

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Mar 30 06:43:02 CEST 2022

Robert Cheatham -

"Robert Cheatham, who edited Perforations and was critical to
the avant-garde/theory mavens in Atlanta, died recently. I was
looking through my Linkedin account recently - I never used it
- and found this earlier digital debris; reading it now, it
takes on a doubled meaning which I should have realized at the
time, that of illness and worse, broken texts... So this is a
form of media archaeology and a testimony as well to a friend
who published an early book I wrote on avatars, as well...
utterly sad over this - so I wrote -"

____

Robert Cheatham, In Memoriam

http://www.alansondheim.org/forRC.jpg

I joined LinkedIn and ended up not using it. But I went into
it this evening, and found this series of messages, mostly
from me, to Robert Cheatham, who ran Public Domain. Robert
wrote back, briefly, I lost track, his last post, short and,
now, sad, below. He died recently and I miss him terribly;
when I was in Atlanta, I knew him well. Azure also met him,
and it's upsetting, this short chain of messages, the very
last between us. I'm not sure what else to add, this chain
has been so very tenuous, Robert was so very brilliant, I
think he is still with us, still with me. Just finding this
remnant, posting it here ...

robert cheatham
robert cheatham
1st degree connection  1st
artistic director at Public Domain, Inc.
Jun 20, 2018
Alan Sondheim sent the following messages at 11:57 PM
View Alans profile Alan Sondheim
Alan Sondheim 11:57 PM

Hi Robert, just started using LinkedIn after being annoyed by
them for years. But I did want to make contact with you - we
miss you, have been to Atlanta a few times recently. Would you
mind sending contact info to me @ sondheim at panix.com or
sondheim at gmail.com ? Thanks!

Apr 30, 2019
View Alans profile Alan Sondheim
Alan Sondheim 2:58 PM

Hi Robert, are you still there?
Jul 9, 2019
robert cheatham sent the following message at 11:26 AM
View roberts profile robert cheatham
robert cheatham 11:26 AM

where?
Alan Sondheim sent the following message at 11:50 AM
View Alans profile Alan Sondheim
Alan Sondheim 11:50 AM

by now, nowhere at all
robert cheatham sent the following message at 1:50 PM
View roberts profile robert cheatham
robert cheatham 1:50 PM

in that you are correctomundo pal...in atl this sat tho
Alan Sondheim sent the following message at 5:02 PM
View Alans profile Alan Sondheim
Alan Sondheim 5:02 PM

wish we were there, we're in Providence, maybe moving to Maine -
robert cheatham sent the following message at 5:43 PM
View roberts profile robert cheatham
robert cheatham 5:43 PM

whats going on in providence and or maine
Alan Sondheim sent the following message at 8:01 PM
View Alans profile Alan Sondheim
Alan Sondheim 8:01 PM

nothing in Providence, moving maybe to Maine. Azure will go to
nursing school wherever we end up. We're going to London and
Cyprus in the fall for presenting stuff, things in NYC etc. as
well. So we're hurrying through before we have to settle down,
if we do settle down but we're not going to have enough money
not to settle down. And what are you doing now? Miss you,
Putting out a lot of cds here by the way, thru ESP Disk and
Public Eyesore as well. The music's going somewhere -
Jan 13, 2021
robert cheatham sent the following message at 4:34 PM
View roberts profile robert cheatham
robert cheatham 4:34 PM

hey all--glaosee you still productive-- I'm turning I to a
slug..veve go darkens

____