[NetBehaviour] The Syllabary by Peter McCarey

Edward Picot edward at edwardpicot.com
Mon May 2 13:52:25 CET 2022

Dear all,

Peter McCarey has just announced the completion of his monumental work
/The Syllabary/, which comprises one short poem written for every
single-syllable word in the language – 2281 short poems in all.

I wrote a review of this back in 2006, at which point he had already
been working on the project for several years, so in total it has taken
him more than 2 decades to complete. I’ve gone back to it regularly, and
it remains one of my favourite works of hyperliterature. My impression
is that it’s got funnier, pithier and more Scottish as it’s gone along.
You can find it at http://www.thesyllabary.com/. You can find my review,
now somewhat out of date, at http://hyperex.co.uk/reviewsyllabary.php

To celebrate the completion of /The Syllabary/, Peter has just published
two short books of poetry, /Orasho /and /Pogo/, both of which are
available from Red Squirrel Press <https://www.redsquirrelpress.com/>.

Edward