[NetBehaviour] Disaggregate Flocking?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri May 5 17:12:07 CEST 2023

(might be useful re: Finsbury Park?)

Disaggregate Flocking?

https://youtu.be/R-J_KZI3dvY video

Rather than swarming or flocking behavior, I'd like to call what
I see in these images aggregate behavior or disaggregate
behavior - what I mean is that the behavior is largely random
that the gatherings are very crude and so very loosely bound
that they fall apart constantly; they are "somewhat" incoherent.
I wonder if instead of an overall flocking behavior algorithm
algorithm one might consider or one might think about the
possibilities of local geodesics that each bird follows that
would have some relationship to avoidance behavior and to
coagulation behavior but at the same time would not call this
one way another into an overall shape such as you get with a
murmuration or migration flocks . These things are much more
loosely bound if they're bound at all with the goals in the
images when you look at the time lapse material. When you look
at the time lapse material you can see that they're much more
individually moving then usually would be found In flocking
behavior. If anything they're much more loosely bound by the
external circumstances of the edges of the water body or bodies
. But the movement seems to be slightly circular and that might
be the result of flight patterns that are necessary to catch the
air and move properly in relationship to the other birds to the
neighbors but it might also be almost random and simply based on
avoidive behavior and looking for geodesics not quite stop that.
[that is, aggregative behavior within circumstances dictated by
neighborhood features such as trees, pools, rivers.] Not looking
for geodesics but as if they were following highly localized
coordinates of some sort. I'm dictating this, which is another
sort of flock behavior in the sense that the words are being put
together with some kind of semantic continuity that the machine
is interpreting. But at the same time there are withdrawals and
things are much looser then that. In this sense the text itself
is a kind of aggregate that veers off in one way or another.
What was most amazing was when all of the all of the gulls took
off simultaneously or roughly simultaneously not in a wave not
even in a loose flock but from the bridge to the place where I
was making the recording. More than that, there's a series of
bridges and a farther bridge which is difficult to see in the
video they also took off at the same time there must have been
at least 1000 birds in the river between the two bridges and to
further bridges that were even beyond those two. I'm fascinated
by this and have spent a considerable amount of time trying to
figure out what's going on. Ironically it's a lot easier, easier
to figure out with the murmuration or sandhill cranes for
example or migration in V shape patterns in general . But this
seems different seems a different kind of behavior and the
disorderliness may in fact be incredibly deep which would be
really fascinating . Patsy disorderly oneness might in fact be
incredibly deep . That is disorderliness might in fact be
incredibly deep. It's the same with this as it is with the
flight of these birds errors appearing everywhere in the text
the text bearing off and then coming back just as the birds will
land somewhat in the same places that they took off from
somewhat in the same area at least but individually it becomes a
real headache to try to I sect what's actually going on period
to try to sense what's actually going on.

____