[NetBehaviour] Disaggregate Flocking?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:51:25 CEST 2023

Hi Paul!

These are absolutely beautiful! I've been familiar with boyds for a long
time and refreshed my memory before I did the piece. I don't have the
skills to implement the work, but what I was interested in was probably
closer to catastrophe theory (or what's left of catastrophe theory?). The
aggregates were rougher; the cormorants played a role, and what was
interesting was the sudden ragged shifts - all the gulls in one section
between bridges took off, then a few seconds later, the next section etc.
Or part of a section. But the pattern always appeared chaotic, not like
wheeling pigeons or starlings for example. I was interested in what the
birds were doing - they often dropped out and the patterning was often
indiscernible, as were the flock boundaries - to the extent that it was
unclear if there was flocking at all, just birds in the air over an area.
So I wonder whether they're not reacting to a different form of coordinate
system. The cormorants by the way do flock in a traditional pattern, but
the gulls seemed more like Mandlebrot's percolations...

The menhaden migration - literally billions of small fish, many of which
die for lack of oxygen and coat the shoreline - was larger than usual
because of the dredging. So the birds were coming in "from all over,"
enough to make newspaper articles. And the gulls were "forced" into
aggregates because the river system is narrow. There was enormous
squabbling over water territory (i.e. the water surface occupied by a
gull). It was strange as gulls and other birds also tried to flee at times;
this was going on for at least a half mile out into the bay. I'm not sure
the boyds model applies here since the crowding and jostling was largely
incoherent, the closer the gulls got to the surface. I think a second
interruption was mating rituals, since that seemed to be going on as well.
The birds were on edge, I think, not used to this kind of crowding - a
short interval in the video shows a serious fight between two starlings, in
which one was almost killed (and was wounded); that's the first time we've
seen that here before. A lot of the time we couldn't figure out what was
going on. -

I remember the game of Life of course, and "animals" in turbulence (static
formations in moving water, but the term might be outmoded now).

Your images and videos are amazing!

Best, Alan, and thank you!

On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 5:43 AM Paul Hertz via NetBehaviour <

347-383-8552**email sondheim ut panix.com <http://panix.com>, sondheim ut
gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*