[NetBehaviour] Thoughts on Israel/Palestine

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 05:15:06 CET 2023

Agree with this - always Yes And - even when I was in Israel as a student.
The concept of a 'side' is killing us; I think even in America, what will
happen in the next election (where sides HAVE to be drawn) is frightful; it
goes beyond voting and the actual activity of presenting a ballot. What's
unspeakable needs to be spoken. Palestine should clearly become a country
and what I fear most is that the hatreds and mourning that the increased
attacks are engendering will stand in the way of that. I've never felt
absolute hatred in my life, honestly, and I can see the results of that (I
have a broken nose to this day after having been hit at Brown by two
"townies" who hated the idea of the university and swung at me out of
nowhere). Empathy is hardest when one loses relatives and friends in any
conflict, memories are both immanent and imminent, and they are part of who
we are; we have to live with them and somehow, in this conflict, both sides
will have to be accepting. Meanwhile it's increasingly difficult - it feels
increasingly difficult - being a Jew, because among other things, not only
the usual anti-semitism, but because we are sided with Israel. The
situation which all of us, no matter who we are or of what faith, is
unbearable. The other issue of course is the mechanism of global warming,
lack of water, unbearable heat as well, and so many people around the world
are living within these conditions which now seem deeply unstoppable. This
wasn't always the case...

Thank you for the article, yes again, Alan

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 4:04 AM Ruth Catlow via NetBehaviour <

347-383-8552**email sondheim ut panix.com <http://panix.com>, sondheim ut
gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*